Monday, January 12, 2015

New Year, New Goals

Hey, everyone, it's January!  Time to check in on last year's resolutions, and make new ones (i.e. the same ones because you didn't keep them last year).  Last year, I resolved to make at least one blog post a week, and I mostly succeeded! ...until I started my new job September 2nd, and then haven't posted since.  But! Now that I'm settled in, and it's a new year, it's time to make some new goals:

1. Apachee Cordova
I spent most of 2013 learning to make games in JavaScript, and most of 2014 learning to make them in Python.  In both cases, I became frusterated with the limitations of where and how people could play them.  One of the main attractions of Python for me was the promise of easy portabilitly, but I soon found that Pygame - the main library people use for Python games - didn't have that same flexability.
This year, I plan to get comfertable working in the Visual Studio mainframe.  My goal is to start by creating each project in Cordova, even if I'm not planning on porting it, so that I'll always have the option later.  This way, when I change directions on a project, I won't be faced with the prospect of rewriting it from scratch - something that has happened to me more then once.

2. A New Website
I need to find a place to host my projects - not necessarily a paid domain name, because I'm too poor thrifty for that, but a permanent home where they can live.  In conjunction with that, I also want to unify my "web presence", if you can even call it that.  Currently I have this blog, a twitter, and a tumblr that I may or may not delete.  I need to do a better job of unifying them, navigationally and thematically.

3. Finishing Projects
One of the reasons I have a problem with finishing things is my level of perfectionism - nothing ever feels "good enough" to put out into the world and show off.  One of my favorite quotes is Leonardo Da Vinci's "art is never finished, only abandoned".  I have several projects in various states of done-ness that need to go up on the new (coming soon) website.
Clueball - matching game I created in 2013.  It's technically "done", in that it's playable, but it needs a little spit-polish to really feel finished.  I purposely created in in a wide-screen, in case I ever decided to port it to mobile devices, and the gameplay would be a perfect candidate to do so.  Since it's written completely in JavaScript, it should be a good candidate to cut my teeth on Cordova.
Client-requested projects - I have a couple of projects that were commissioned by clients but then fell thru that I would like to host.  One, an interactive map of the United States, works perfectly but needs to be "rebranded", or in this case have the original branding and purpose removed and turned into a more generic map info program.  The other one, a website, I have permission from the client to show off in it's completed form, but still needs a few more hours of work to be "ready for prime-time".
Wizard's Scroll - a little puzzle game that's probably 65% completed, but that I became frustrated with and abandoned.  Like Clueball, I purposely created it in an aspect ratio that would translate well to mobile devices, just in case, but it turns out the game it evolved into would be better suited for browser play.  That means that, aside from finishing a few levels, the game is in need of a major visual overhaul.  It's something that I didn't feel up to doing, until my wife got me a Wacom tablet for Christmas - now suddenly doing a ton of graphics from scratch sounds more fun than exhausting.

4. New Projects
As usual, I have way more ideas then I have time or energy to use implementing them, but I am looking forward to working on some new things.  And, as I mentioned previously, I have a brand new Wacom that's just dying to be put to use....

No comments:

Post a Comment