Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Game Jam Failure?

Okay, guys, so I've done the math, and it's been... twenty hours since my last post?  Really?  Jeez.  Clearly, this has been more difficult then I thought it would be.  Not the programming part; the game is coming along swimmingly, actually.  I've only been posting when I have something that makes an interesting screenshot, but I've already got it opening and parsing files for level designs.

No, the difficult parts have been:

A) Staying up all night.  Fun and energizing when you're in your early twenties.  Not so much when you're in your early thirties.  Instead of making me goofily creative, it just made it extremely difficult to focus.  And the recliner I had to sleep in, amazingly enough, kept becoming more and more comfortable.

B) Working on a project while also caring for my wife.  So I guess this one is obvious in retrospect, but juggling the blog and the game with making sure my wife is ok was a lot more difficult then I was expecting.  The game jam did fulfill it's primary objective nicely, which was to distract me from freaking out while she was in the operating room and recovering after.  Once she was lucid and talking, however, the jam sort of lost it's priority.

So what now?  I still want to finish this game -- it's a fun idea, and I still need to write a post on the premise -- and I still like the idea of blogging the game's progress.  So I'll be retooling this blog, removing the game jam part, and will continue updating on the game's development as it happens.  You can keep checking in on the adventures of Compact Tank (like a compact car, only it's a tank!) and even get to play some early builds when we get to that point.

I'd like to thank everyone for their support.  No one's left any comments on the blog, but I've gotten a couple on Facebook, and the blog has had almost 400 hits, so I assume someone's reading this.  Keep checking in, and help make Compact Tank a reality!

No comments:

Post a Comment