Monday, June 9, 2014

State of the Blog - June 2014

I'm back in class!  This, of course, is a double-edged sword, because while it's good news for my career, it's bad news for the projects at this site.  Mostly what it means is focusing on the projects that are most important to me and/or beneficial for my portfolio, and jettisoning the extraneous.

Untitled Gaming Library
This is the project I'm currently most excited about.  It started as the game engine for Mom I'm Home and then Wizard's Scroll, and then I starting rewriting the engine into small functions that could be used for any project, and what I'm ending up with is a pretty useful library of game-making tools.  This is a long-term project, but eventually I'd like to tweak it into something really classy I can release on GitHub.

Wizard's Scroll
My biggest short-term goal right now is Wizard's Scroll.  Although my eventual goal a 100-level game with fully functional level editor is still a ways off, the 50-level demo version is very close to finished.  I just need to tweak a little code and get it running on JVM.  Probably two weeks worth of work, if I had two consecutive weeks to work on any one thing right now.

Clueball
My second most immediate priority is Clueball.  The nice thing about this one is the game is already fully functional; I'm just adding a few coats of paint and some additional features.  My original goal with Clueball, back when I started it last year, was to implement full Facebook functionality; that's moved to the backburner for now.  I'd be more interested in seeing if I could PhoneGap it into running on Android...

Untitled Meditation App
I haven't mentioned it here, but I've been fiddling with an idea for a meditation app on the side.  This is another long-term project; the goal is to have something simple running by the time I move at the end of the year.  I know a few martial artists in the area that I'm moving to, and my hope is to get some "professional" feedback and suggestions, resulting in a nice little Android app.

Mom I'm Home
The concept of Mom I'm Home was to make a Legend of Zelda-style game with SNES-style graphics loosely based on my childhood neighborhood (a suburb with several nearby forested areas), with the urban parts serving as the overworld and the forest areas serving as the dungeons.  I still think this is an interesting idea, but the truth is, this is a project that would take a whole team of programmers to complete, not just one guy.  That's why this game (along with Lore and other projects I've mentioned here and there) are going on indefinite hiatus.  That's the downside of focusing on the important projects; it means some other, interesting stuff falling through the cracks. But fear not! Things will be resurrected as I find the time slash resources.

No comments:

Post a Comment